No matter how the parents are devoted, it may happen that they feel that they cannot solve certain difficulties themselves. In lack of assistance sensibility of human connections and situations do not always make possible to bring to light the reasons of the sudden change of our child’s behaviour, anxiety, agressive or reserved attitude.
Changes in the family, going to a new kindergarten or school, moving – all these situations may affect children more deeply than it has been guessed before. For the child and for the parents too, it is important to get the professional help even in cases when they think that sooner or later life will give a solution since the happened affairs may influence later life stages, puberty and adulthood. Dr Viktória Gyebnár, pediatric phychologist of our clinic, gives help not only with the background of a mental therapist. She is an integrative pediatric therapist as well as specialist in family and art therapies. She gets to know children and their problems through their self-expression that is by means of playing, drawing and other medium and together with the parents she helps not only them but the whole family too.
Our sport psychologist Nóra Tolnai deals with psyching athletes up for racing situations. She helps overcoming competition anxiety, increasing self-confidence and motivation, setting and reaching goals, handling failure or burnout as well as correcting mistakes.
Owing to the better self-understanding and a higher degree of awareness body and soul wellbeing changes positively; these are based on recognizing and considering the personal needs, thus contributing to health improvement and maintenance.
What are the cases when it is recommended to consult the psychologist?
- when parents become doubtful in the child’s education and they would need an external specialist’s assistance in order to analyze the problems
- when the child shows serious anxiety and fear
- when parents experience behaviour problems with agressive features that could be handled with difficulties
- when child’s behaviour shows significant changes in relation to the preceding status
- when there are such changes in the family (divorce, death) which cause serious stress both for the adults and the children
- if there is a deficit in the child’s development in relation to similar age group
- when they realize underperformance at school despite the child’s relevant abilities
- if they observe concentration problems in cases when deliberate focusing would be required
when they recognize problems relating to self-assessment and self-confidence
Which therapies may lead to the solution of the problems?
- Consultation with the parents: in the first meeting we have to review together the arisen difficulties and the actual bottleneck. Aim of the further consultations and counselling on the child’s education (a few occasions) is that we find the way and steps in order to solve the exisiting problems – with the support of the specialist in psychology. This way is the proper one if, as a result of a few meetings, actual problems are eliminated.
- Therapy for the children: from the toolbox of the integrative children’s therapy we choose the disclosing methods which suit to the child’s problems and difficulties (3-4 occasions), then with the help of a play therapy and cooperation between the therapist and the family the child gets further support to overcome his or her difficulties (number of the occasions is stipulated in the therapy contract).
All therapeutical methods/solutions and consultations are based on system approach of family therapy meaning that the child’s symptoms are not only the consequences of his or her personal problems but they reflect the functional deficit of the family too. To ease the child’s symptoms and to achieve positive changes, the family’s functioning would also be necessary to be altered. To support these changes we quest for the potentials of the family.